Dipl.Biol. Technische Biologie Universität Stuttgart
My research interests include the study of cell signaling pathways with the focus of understanding these more from a systems perspective. I follow a Systems Biology approach with a cyclical mode of operation between experiments, modeling and model analysis.
My main research work is the study of Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF)-induced apoptosis. The proinflammatory cytokine TNF binds its cognate membrane receptor, TNF receptor type 1, which then simultaneously induces survival pathways via activation of the nuclear factor κB, and apoptotic signaling by caspase activation. The crosstalk mechanisms of pro- and anti-apoptotic signaling as a function of dosage and time decide on the final outcome of the cellular response.
Experimentally and via mathematical modeling, I study the detailed dynamical signaling crosstalk between TNF induced pro- and anti-apoptotic pathways in single cells as well as in cell populations.
Journal Articles (peer reviewed)
Conference Articles (peer reviewed)
- Schliemann, M., R. Findeisen, and E. Bullinger (2012). Robustness-based model validation of an apoptosis signalling network model. 16th IFAC Symposium on System Identification Brussels, Belgium, 11–13 July 2012, pp. 930-935.
- Geffen, D., R. Findeisen, M. Schliemann, F. Allgöwer and M. Guay (2008). Observability Based Parameter
Identifiability for Biochemical Reaction Networks. American Control
Conference, Seattle, WA, USA, 11-13 June 2008, pp. 2130-2135.
- Geffen, D., R. Findeisen, M. Schliemann, F. Allgöwer and M. Guay (2007). The
question of parameter identifiability for biochemical reaction networks
considering the NF-κB signal transduction pathway. 2nd Foundations of
Systems Biology in Engineering FOSBE 2007, 9-12 September 2007, pp. 545-552.
- Schliemann, M., T. Eißing, P. Scheurich and E. Bullinger (2007).
Mathematical modelling of TNF-α induced apoptotic and anti-apoptotic
signalling pathways in mammalian cells based on dynamic and quantitative
experiments. 2nd Foundations of Systems Biology in Engineering FOSBE 2007,
Stuttgart, Germany, 9-12 September 2007, pp. 213-218.
- Schliemann, M., R. Findeisen, P.Scheurich and E.Bullinger (2012). Dose-Response Characterization of Tumour Necrosis Factor induced
Pro- and Anti-Apoptotic Signalling Pathways: From Experiment to Mathematical Modelling for
Optimizing and Designing Quantitative Therapeutic Strategies. Biomedica 2012, The European Life Sciences Summit, Liège, Belgium, 18-19 April 2012.
- Hasenauer, J., S. Waldherr, M. Schliemann, P. Scheurich and F. Allgöwer
(2009). Estimation of biochemical network parameter distributions in cell
populations. Cancer Systems Biology - Molecular Mechanisms and Mathematical
Modelling, Rostock-Warnemünde, Germany, 7-10 June 2009. First prize in poster
- Schliemann, M., P. Scheurich and E. Bullinger (2009). A System Understanding
of TNF-α induced Apoptotic and Antiapoptotic Signalling: Combining Single
Cell and Population Modelling with Dynamic and Quantitative Experiments. IET
Conference on Synthetic Biology, Systems Biology and Bioinformatics BioSysBio,
Cambridge, UK, 23-25 March 2009, pp. 207-208.
- Waldherr, S., J. Hasenauer, M. Schliemann, P. Scheurich and F. Allgöwer
(2009). Modelling and parameter estimation for heterogeneous cell populations.
German Symposium on Systems Biology, Heidelberg, Germany, 12-15 May 2009.
- Schliemann, M., S. Borchers, P. Scheurich and E. Bullinger (2008).
TNF-α induced Apoptotic and Anti-apoptotic Signalling: A Systems Biology
Approach combining Dynamic and Quantitative Experiments with Mathematical
Modelling. 2nd International Workshop on Systems Biology, NUI Maynooth,
Ireland, 17-20 August 2008, p. 48. First prize in poster contest.
- Waldherr, S., M. Doszczak, M. Schliemann, J. Schreiner, P. Scheurich and F.
Allgöwer (2008). The TNF receptor signalling network: Modular modelling and
cell-type specific analysis. 2nd Conference on Systems Biology of the Mammalian
Cell, Dresden, Germany, 22-24 May 2008.
- Schliemann, M., T. Sauter, E. Bullinger, T. Eissing, F. Allgöwer, O. Sawodny
and P. Scheurich (2006). Mathematical modeling of TNF induced apoptotic and
anti-apoptotic crosstalk in mammalian cells. Conference on Systems Biology of
Mammalian Cells, Heidelberg, Germany, 12-14 July 2006, pp. 66-67.